Wednesday, June 1, 2011

And Now A Word From Our Sponsor!

  Commercials have always paid the
bills in radio and television so
you expect to hear or see them
there.
  It's the same in newspapers.
  But these days commercials are
everywhere.
  We went for a ride in the Poconos
yesterday. Apparently no one there
has been told about the 'tough
economic times.'
  Commercial signs and billboards
crowd both sides of Route 940
from the Regional Police Station to
the intersection of old Route 611.
  One ad after another for businesses
and products.
  Some of them are very clever and
colorful. It's a shame you have to
occasionally glance back to the
highway to see where you're going!  
  And have you been to the movies
lately?
  There was a feature I wanted to
see two weeks ago. I checked the
schedule on line and realized I'd
have to head out right away to be
there in time for the 1:15PM
showing. Of course my timing
always allows 5 extra minutes
to get my popcorn!
  I thought I had it timed
perfectly.
  But then I realized I had
finished my popcorn and was still
waiting for the feature to begin.
  Now don't get me wrong.
  There was something on the screen
from the moment I walked in till
the movie I came to see actually
started at about 1:40 or so.
   But it wasn't all 'Coming
Attractions.'
   I guess my 'Senior admission
ticket' isn't bringing in
enough money.
   The theaters now show as many
commercials as most two hour
television programs. Of course
in the theater they're sort of
all piled together in the half
hour or so before the movie
starts.
   There are ads for new cars,
the latest in cell phone
technology, and usually
several for either Coke or
Pepsi depending on which salesman
got to the theater first.
  Of course they throw in some
Public Service stuff too.
  And reminders not to talk
or text during the movie. I
usually have a seat close to
someone who feels the 'no talking
reminder' has to be read out loud.
  I'm sure the extra income helps
to keep admission prices down
although it doesn't seem to have
had any impact on the price of
my popcorn.
  Anyhow whether it's movies,
along highways,or on radio, TV,
or in newspapers I guess we've
all got to deal with the fact
that....the world is not
only a stage..it's a
commercial!
 Hope all your NEWS is good!

 

 
      

No comments:

Post a Comment