Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Galloping Gourmet!

  As I begin I must confess I have
taken some liberties with the title
of today's commentary.
  In all honesty it should probably
be called 'The Hobbling Gourmet.'
  You see it was not Graham Kerr that
set up the frying pan on our kitchen
stove yesterday. It was, rather, my wife!
  For those not immediately
impressed with that revelation
consider the fact that she has spent
the past 8 weeks recovering from
not one, but two surgeries on the
same foot!
  For those same 8 weeks I have
attempted to provide the majority
of meals cooked,heated, or reheated
on those burners.
  I'm thinking it was the quality
of those menus that has prompted
my 'better half' to combine the
maneuverability of her walker and
a crutch to reclaim the culinary
territory that has been her domain
throughout our married life.
  Her return was marked with an
offering of sausage, peppers, and
onions. I didn't know they came in
'sets' like that!
 I made sausage one night.
 Of course she had to give me
instructions. But I followed them!
 I even found some corn to heat up
in the microwave. 
  She didn't even use the microwave
except, perhaps, to defrost the
meat as it came out of the freezer.
  Hey that microwave has saved
many a day over the past 8 weeks
especially when the evening meal
I produced consisted of left
overs from restaurants we had
visited during her
convalescence.
  I'm not sure if the evening's
dinner represented a permanent
return or just a visit.
  But it was sure nice to get a
break after 8 weeks.
  Come to think of it she just
had her first break after 42 years.
  Guess I'll have to take her to
lunch one of these days!
  Hope all your NEWS is good!     

No comments:

Post a Comment