Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Return To Oz!

  Remember that scene in the Wizard
Of Oz when Dorothy stepped out of
her tornado tossed house into the
beautifully manicured landscape of
Munchkinville?
 Well my wife and I decided it was
time to restore our yard to a
similar state. OK...so it was my
wife's decision!
 Anyhow I found myself back in the
yard yesterday facing the same high
grass that challenged me a few weeks
ago. The rain had made it thrive.
 If grass could think mine was
undoubtedly chuckling. And the blades
would have been reminding each other
that I was the guy with the electric
mower with the top covered in Duct
tape.
 Boy were they in for a surprise!
 My son had given us an 'extra' gas
lawn mower that had been sitting
around his place for a year or so.
 It could have been sitting around
my place too but for my wife's
urgings to do 'some yard work.'
 Since she considered the
electric mower a threat to life and
property I had no choice but to go
and buy gas for our newly acquired
unit.
 Anyone who knows me or has read a
blog or two knows that mixing
mechanical things and me is a little
like juggling swords.
 But miracles still happen!
 With a plunge or two of the primer
and one pull on the cord the mower
fired up and it had the last laugh
over those blades of grass.
 The weed whacker, however, was
another story.
 It's one inch of cutting cord
quickly disintegrated.
 I'm about as good at taking the
unit apart to restring it as I am
at doing root canal work.
 Fortunately (or unfortunately
depending on how you look at it)
my wife know how to do it.
 The new length of cord, still a
bit short, enabled me to get one
section of grass that's totally
inaccessible to a lawn mower.
 The Mrs. handled some weeds she
wanted removed so, for the moment
things are looking pretty good in
our Oz! Guess there really is
'no place like home!"
 Hope your yard is neat and that
all your NEWS is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment