Saturday, June 18, 2011

Timing!

    In the broadcasting industry
timing is everything. You get
to the story in the fastest
time possible. You roll the
video just in time to catch
the 'perp' as police walk
him by! You write your script
in the car to save time. You
edit and record your story
in the allotted 60 to 90
seconds and you get it on the
air at the exact time it's
scheduled to run on the
newscast.
 Your wrist watch, your
stop watch, and the studio
wall clock are all there to
keep you on time.
 Here's the thing.
 Since I 'retired' I'm
becoming more and more
amazed by time!
 I have two wrist watches.
 I think they're both
somewhere on the top shelf
of my dresser. But I don't
really know because I don't
wear them anymore.
 My TV is set to go off at
6:30 every morning.
 But I nearly always wake
up at 6:29 and wait a minute
to turn the set off the
second the picture comes on!
 Occasionally I'll leave it
on for two minutes in the hope
of catching a brief weather
forecast for the day.
 If I'm greeted with early
morning comedy or a tease
so general it demands I keep
watching...I don't!
 Some timing seems to be just
'natural.'
 When my wife waited one extra
minute to get something in the
house before we headed out the
other day I could have won
money had I bet the rain would
wait to fall the second we
stepped out the front door so
we would get wet!
 It did and we were.
 And how does our
Cockatiel know to start
making a fuss at exactly 8pm
when it's time to cover his cage?      
 He doesn't even have a wrist
let alone a watch!
 I had that 'natural timing' for
years.
 I used to be able to sit in a
dark movie theater and tell my
wife the time within one minute
without ever looking at my
watch.
 These days I can still come
pretty close.But I don't have
to!
  I'd love to spend a few more
minutes writing this blog. But
I think it's time to take a nap!
  Hope your watch is wound and
that all your NEWS is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment