Sunday, June 26, 2011

"Hey Kids..What Time Is It?"

  I will forgive you if you answered
"It's Howdy Dowdy Time" because
that's the way that old kid's TV
program always opened..
 I, however, was thinking about the
fact that this is "Forgiveness Day!"
 It's one of those special days
that doesn't  get any attention like
the big days! 
 You know. Groundhog Day or
the Ides of March.
  I though about forgiveness a
couple times during my recent
drive to the Finger Lake region.
  It was because of the guy who
was driving just ahead of me.
  I was in no hurry so his 'crawl'
didn't bother me at first
  Then we neared the turn for
Red Rock Mountain.
   He appeared to be continuing
his journey on Route 118 and
drove more than half way through
the intersection as I began my
right hand turn.
 That's when he changed his
mind and decided it wasn't
too late to make the same turn
himself!
 For just a moment I knew
how the lookouts on the
Titanic must have felt when the
iceberg seemed to pop up out
of no where! 
 Luckily my turning speed was
slow enough to avoid a
collision.
 Speaking of slow, the man 
behind the wheel of that car
may have set a new record for
the slowest time up that steep
mountain road. I  was
still in his rear view mirror though
I doubt he ever uses it.
   Fortunately his day plans
included a stop at Lake Jean
on top of the mountain where
I was able to resume my trip at
a pace that actually moved my
speedometer.
   And even though it was not
the official day...I forgave him.
  As its name implies 'Forgiveness
Day" is a time to forgive others and
to be forgiven as well.
 It originated at a Christian Church in
Vancouver, Canada in 1994.
 That makes it a fairly new
observance so I'll forgive you if you
didn't know about it.
  Anyway you'll get a 'second chance'
to do your own forgiving because
while June 26th is 'Forgiveness Day'
in the United States ...Global
Forgiveness Day doesn't come
along till August 27th.
 Somebody in our country
apparently got things mixed up.
 Then again, 'To err is human,
to forgive is divine!'
  Hope all your NEWS is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment