Friday, November 11, 2011

Back In the Saddle Again

  Although the bulk of my long
broadcasting career has been in
television I started out in radio.
  And I always loved it. Both as
a DJ and as a News Reporter.
   It's one of the reasons I call
the local talk shows occasionally.
  And it's why I was happy to go
back into a studio this week to
try to help our local Christian
station, WRGN, raise the
money it needs to broadcast
messages of faith and hope into
our community.
   I did some button pushing on
the way to my shift. I wasn't
surprised to find the airwaves filled
with news, talk, and comment about
the horrible controversy that's
tearing Penn State apart.
   We didn't get into that during
what WRGN calls it's "Share-A-
Thon."
   We  heard from people
who were more interested in
supporting inspirational music
and uplifting messages than
who's running a football team
or the state of the economy.
   Some of that testimony came
from a woman who couldn't
afford to donate any money this
year but wanted to thank the
station for keeping up her spirits
after the recent loss of her son.
   In my mind her comments
were worth a million dollars!
   The atmosphere in the studio
was the same as I remembered
back when I played "oldies"
from "Double Dee's Dusty
Dungeon of Marvelous Melodies."
   But technology has replaced
my old 'turntables' (record
players) with digital musical
libraries and computer screens
are everywhere.
   Downstairs ladies brought
in all kinds of home made food
to support the on air staff as
well as the volunteers who
turned out to work the telephones.
   I felt it my civic duty to
sample some of their offerings.
   I wasn't disappointed.
   This 'family-like' effort
reminded me of the days when I
was a DJ and faithful listeners
would bring cookies and cakes
to the studio.
    Local radio was very
community oriented back then.
    It's still that way here.
    I hope their drive is successful.
    I know all their NEWS is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment