Friday, November 18, 2011

The Day We Broke The Bank!!!!

   It all started when my daughter discovered that some
of her old unused jewelry truly was worth it's weight in
gold!
   The price of silver and gold may have bounced up and
down a bit over the past few weeks. But even with an
occasional decline it's generally worth a lot more than
it's original purchase price.
   That got my wife  to thinking about a few old silver coins
she  had collected a few years back.
    She decided to get them checked. But to do that
she had to retrieve them!
     The "Silver Dollars" had been carefully stored in.....
of all things....and old "Piggy Bank!"
     I though it should be preserved. That shouldn't
be a problem since there was a removable cap on
the bottom to get the coins out.
     But, there's always a "but" about here, the bank
was apparently designed to hold quarters.
     Silver Dollars and bigger than quarters!
     The slot on top was long enough to accept Silver
Dollars. But the hole let behind after the removable
cap was.....well.....removed....wasn't wide enough to
let the Silver Dollars out!
      I again expressed my desire to preserve the old
bank. But, at about that same time, I heard the tell
tell sounds of a crack.
     "It was already cracked" my wife volunteered.
     Then she showed me the pieces.
     She got out the coins. I got out the Super Glue!
     As it happens the few coins inside were
produced at a time when other metals replaced
most of the actual silver content. So, by in large,
the value was a lot lower than what you'd get
from older coins.
     I keep watching the Pickers and Pawn Shop
to see if I can find out what an old Piggy Bank,
with one very apparent crack, might be worth.
    Hope your Sterling is real silver and that
all your NEWS is good!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment