Sunday, November 6, 2011

Oh Sign, sign, everywhere a sign!

    It's been 41 years since the Canadian Rock
Group " Five Man Electric Band" released
the song called "Signs."
    It may be time for a Re-release!
    We've all come to expect the placards
we see in front yards, vacant lots, and
tacked to utility poles around election time.
    But the politicians and their ad men have
now gone high tech. And it's getting to be
a bit much!
    At a time when we're all being cautioned
to keep our eyes on the road and off the cell
phone our attention is drawn to one of those
flashing yellow road side signs that usually
warn of lane closuers or a detours.
    We strain to view the caution alert only
to find an area judicial candidate has rented
the electronic billboard to solicite your vote!
     Now I've found another one just a few
miles away.
     Problem is you can't ignore them. The
next one could read...Bridge Out Ahead!
     Good marketing. But a real pain in the
driver's seat!
      And have you added a lot of Facebook
Friends lately then suddenly realized how
man of them just happen to be running for
office!
     It will be interesting so see how many
of them will "Like" your posts come next
Wednesday.
    Mostly I dislike the telephone calls.
    Candidates were, somehow, ommited
from the "Do Not Call List."
    How they manager to ring my number
just when I'm really involved with
something important I'll never know.
    I'm beginning to think I should listen
to their message just so I can vote against
the caller.
    I realize candidates have to try to get
their message to the public. But I still
prefer getting it in a 60 second commercial
in which he or she can tell me their name,
the office they're seeking and what they
plan to do once they're there if I support
them with my vote.
   They can enhance their campaign by
engaging in debates and participating
in editorial meetings with our local
newspapers.
   One of the first pledges I'll be
looking for is a promise to take down
all those signs after Tuesday's election.
    They can give the traffic signs to
PennDot and turn Facebook back over
to my regular Friends!
     Hope they'll take some good advice
and that all of your NEWS is good.
 
                     

No comments:

Post a Comment