Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Missing the show (NOT!)

   There are a whole lot of things I
don't miss about being on the 'news
beat.'
    I don't miss getting up at 5 to do
live reports in freezing temperatures
to tell viewers (still in bed) how bad
the roads are.
    I don't miss having to approach
families who have just lost their home
to a fire.
    And I especially don't miss trying
to "cover" a Presidential visit to our
area!
    I breathed a sigh of relief when I
heard that President Obama was
coming to Scranton and knew I
didn't have to be there!
    Would it be great to have an
opportunity to meet the President!
     The answer would be yes IF
you truly could meet him. The truth,
however, is that most members of the
media, certainly the "local media"
never get really close to him.
    The 'national crews' usually get
the best spots!
    The Secret Service does a fantastic
job limiting access to the Chief
Executive and one of its jobs is to
check every piece of broadcasting
equipment used in covering the
visit. That usually means a long line
and big hassle just to get a tape
recorder into the venue.
    I actually got to cover Mr. Obama
when he campaigned in Scranton. I
got a tip he'd be at the Glider Diner
and got there even before my
cameraman showed up. I had my
own home camcorder and captured
some video right away just in case.
    We happen to record the
moment when he signed an "excuse"
for two High School students who
had skipped class just to meet him!
One lost his office as President of the
Senior Class because of his decision.
    Heck, I even had a crack at
grabbing that unfinished breakfast
the President, then candidate, left
behind. I just didn't think of it fast
enough!
    But, even then, we were herded
into a corner  as far back as space
would allow.
    Don't get me wrong. I think it's
great the President, or any President,
acknowledges the people of our area
and pays us a visit.
    I'm just happy he's a visiting
President....not an assignment!
    Hope he won't take it
personally and that all your
NEWS is good!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment