Sunday, November 20, 2011

Getting "The Chair!"

   I've had a lot of response to my blogs
about the careless way people leave their
shopping carts all over the parking lots
of malls and grocery stores!
  I guess some of you have run into the
problem....or the carts at one time or
another too.
   John Webster of WILK suggested the
stores come up with a sort of dye pack
like the banks use to nab robbers!
   The idea is for the pack to go off if
you don't put the cart back where it
belongs.
   My wife reminded me of the shop
in California where you've got to
insert a quarter to get a cart. Return it
and you get your 25 cents back!
   But a friend of mine at one of the
popular stores reminds me that the
problem isn't limited to the standard
shopping carts.
   Sometime back many stores started
to offer powered chairs with an
attached basket so shoppers with
limited leg mobility could literally
drive around the store as they fill
their shopping list.
    Problem is, according to my
buddy, the powered chairs are not
designed to go outside the store!
    They're slow, making them
potentially dangerous in a busy
parking lot, and since they're
electric there's a chance they could
be damaged in the elements.
    I'm not sure I'd like to be sitting
in an Electric Chair when the rain
begins to fall!
    Maybe, since they're wired
anyway, they could be rigged to
give the driver a 'reminder shock'
as he or she heads out the door and
into the lot!
   I guess if you were British you
could call that "Capital punishment."
(You know...like..'I say old man,
that's Capital'...get it?) Oh well.
   I saw an employee at one store
trying to drive one of the units
back to the place (inside) where
it is recharged as it waits to be
used.
    He'd have to start the Pocono
500 now if he planned to finish in
2013!
    Hope you don't need one, put it
back if you do, and that all your
NEWS is good!

1 comment:

  1. There are carts with built-in brakes that lock up if the cart passes through an invisible barrier, to keep the carts confined to a certain area. I think this was the basis of a stunt on one of those idiots-hurting-themselves shows, where guys took a high-speed shopping cart ride through the invisible barrier, and got tossed out as the wheels locked.

    I think all BiLo stores carge a refundable quarter for carts. In Ireland the charge was one euro - nearly two dollars at the time I was there.

    One local store recently introduced a bunch of mini-sized carts for shoppers who want the benefits of a cart but only have a few items to purchase. Within two months, the supply of these carts is down to two. The rest walked away.

    ReplyDelete