Tuesday, November 1, 2011

You Better Read This!!!!!!!

  I called Steve Corbett on WILK Radio yesterday!
  It was the Halloween edition of his daily talk show
and I shared a personal story that fits the holiday.
  I call it "The Unseen Guest."
  As the story goes my Dad, a movie projectionist
in Hazleton and Business Agent for the theatrical
worker's union, brought a gentleman who was
making a stage appearance locally to our home
one day.
   His name was well know to movie goers and
who wouldn't want to meet a "movie star?"
   The answer to that question was.......me!
   I had no desire to meet this actor!
   In fact my intention was to hide so we
wouldn't meet!
   The performer's stage name was Bela Lugosi!
   He was best know for both his stage and film
 role as "Count Dracula" the Vampire!
   He played that role really well.
   In fact, as far as I...as a little kid....was concerned,
Dad had invited Dracula into our house!
   I thought it best to keep my distance!
   And who says opportunity knocks just once?
   A couple of years later, and keep in mind I was
still very young, the Capital Theater in Hazleton
held a special stage show along with a feature
movie presentation for Halloween.
   The theater manager tried to talk me into
appearing on stage with another actor who,
according to the plan, would grab me and I
would swing  my legs back and forth as though
I was trying to run while being held.
   The actor was dressed as the Frankenstein
Monster!
   I declined this kind invitation to begin my
stage career.
   I wasn't so sure this guy was an actor in
costume. He sure looked like Frankenstein
to me!
   As the Pennsylvania Dutch tell us...."We
grow too soon old, and too late smart!"
   Had I been a little braver as a kid maybe
I could have been working with Stephen
King instead of calling Steve Corbett.
  These days I never miss a chance to
watch the old Dracula or Frankenstein movies.
   They'll still the best 'monsters" I ever saw
even when I didn't see them!
   Hope you had a great Halloween and
that all your NEWS is good!
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment