Monday, December 19, 2011

Christmas is for .....Children?

    I suppose you've heard the song at one
time or another. The lyrics proclaim
that "Christmas is for children."
    But another line in the same ballad asks
"aren't we all Children on Christmas day"?
    I'd suggest many of us are children
throughout Christmas (truth be told...maybe
a lot longer than that!). Maybe it's the
"toys", not the people, that change through
the years.
    The guys who used to wait for the
electric train or the football are now
checking out the big screen HDTV's and
the Sporting goods department.
    The girls who have followed Barbie
through the years can now be spotted
checking out wardrobes for themselves.
    They're just bigger kids these days!
    And let's face it...even some of the
toys still grab our attention!
    Two of our good friends joined us
as we checked out one of the popular
"Big Box" stores in Schuylkill
County yesterday.
   They helped keep tabs on my
grandson who is at the stage where
everything in the Toy department
must be touched and picked up.
    Surely some adult supervision
could curb those instincts. Right?
    Well you might think so.
    But then my friends came across
some sort of "Elmo" toy. You know,
the character from Sesame Street.
    At least I think it was "Elmo."
    Anyway It sat inside a box with a
drum under each hand...or paw...or
whatever those animals have.
    But the box had an opening just
big enough for a finger. The sign
above the little opening read.....
"Push here..Try Me" or something
along that line.
    If you follow those instructions
"Elmo" begins to sing and play the
drums.
    But it was my friend....then his
wife.....and finally my grandson....
who decided that each of the 30
some "Elmos" stacked on the
floor should be tested simultaneously!!!!!
   And they all worked!!!!
   I tried to disassociate myself from
the impromptu concert.
   Maybe I was afraid some store
clerk would complain.
   Or maybe I was just upset because
they got to work the darn things
BEFORE I thought of it!
    It  was my buddy who was working
the switches and sound effects on
a quad designed for a 4-year-
old to ride.
    And his wife was the one who
pointed out and accurately
identified the two kinds of SUV's
in a radio controlled set boxed on
a Toy department shelve.
    On the other hand it was my
grandson who quoted the price of a
printer he had seen in another store
when we happen by the printer
display at this outlet!
     If Santa was watching closely
my grandson could end up with an
HP printer while my buddy finds
"Elmo" under his tree.
    It may be time to rewrite that
song!
    Hope you're a kid at Christmas
(and whenever you feel like it) and
that all your NEWS is good!

   
   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment