Sunday, December 4, 2011

Let's Hear It For The Boys!

     It's been about 20 years since my son
and I spent the better part of most weekends
going to BMX Bicycle races at tracks in
communities scattered throughout the state.
     This year, however, he decided to get
back into the sport. That's probably what
prompted my grandson to give it a try too!
      It is not an easy sport!
      If you'd like to have a look just call
up my Facebook site and you can watch
a couple of motos.
      Riders have to negotiate a series of
banks, bumps, and turns (not all left by
the way) while trying to pedal faster
than up to 7 competitors running the
same course.
     You wear all your safety gear and
there are no roll cages to protect you
should you go down!
      Way back when my son first got
into BMXing I got on his bike at
the top of the starting hill just to ride
the track myself one time.
      The mandatory helmet hid the
terror in my eyes. Thank goodness
I wasn't actually racing. Two groups
behind me could have passed by the
time I made it around the track!
      As a newcomer my grandson is
still learning the ropes. He starts as
a "Novice."  Since he was
starting over after so many years my
son had to begin-again as a "Novice" too.
      After 8 First place finishes you
move up to the next category.
     My son managed that this season
just in time for the final race of the
year at our "Home" track.
      But, since there was no one else
his age and an "Intermediate" rider
he found himself up against four
other riders aged 15, 16, and 17!
     Three were "Experts!"
     He didn't make it to the Main
race. But the "kids" he was up
against in his final motto knew he
was there! In fact he lead both for
a time and one till the final turn!
     My grandson won both of his
first two motos but  found himself
running second in his last race....
until the final straightaway when
he pushed his way ahead to take
his third First place finish in as
many weeks!
    Now we're looking forward to
visiting a BMX track in New York
which is under a roof!
     It should be a lot of fun....as long
as I don't have to get on a bicycle!
     I thought I might give it another
try this morning. But, as you know,
this is "Wear Brown Shoes Day"
and I don't want to scuff mine on
the pedals!
     Hope you're in the lead, whatever
your sport, and that all your NEWS
is good!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment