Saturday, December 3, 2011

Sub Titles!

   I'm a big fan of Closed Caption TV!
   I often use the CC option on my
television. Sometimes it's to make up
for some hearing loss that undoubtedly
goes back to my days as a DJ.
   Sometimes it's just a courtesy to
my wife to like to concentrate on her
reading while I'm watching some
"Adventure movie" on AMC or the
like.
   Sometimes it's just to see what
the anchor or reporter really means
to say when the pronunciation falls
a bit short of perfection. (Ever hear
some of them say "Double Ya" for
the letter W?"
    The other night I really welcomed
those sub titles that were rolling
across the screen. And I didn't even
have my Closed Caption turned on!
    The program was one of those new
"Reality shows" that have taken over
television these days.
    It's called "Big Shrimpin'"
    The 'stars' are Shrimp boatmen
from down around Louisiana.
    They all speak English....well sort
of!
    It's the same story with another
series from the same general region
called "Swamp People."
    The producers have wisely decided
to include the sub titles so viewers
have at lease a small chance to know
what these guys are actually saying!
    There's also a narrator, without
caption, to help set the scene and
explain the situation.
     It gives me an idea for a new
sit-com!
     How about a program where the
"shrimpers" and the "Swamp People"
have to deal with the character "Peggy"
from the credit card commercials!?
     We'll need the caption! But it could
be a lot of fun for y'all!
     Hope you've got the patience to
watch and read the screen at the same
time and that all your NEWS is good! 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment