Saturday, December 17, 2011

A "Little" shopping!

  I had a few hours to myself the other day and
set out to pick up a gift or two I had in mind.
  That done, I had some time to just drive around
to see what else I could find. My shopping, that
which isn't done, will have me on the road again
Monday and Tuesday next week.
   But my "drive around" turned out to be kind
of fun. And interesting!
   First I stopped for hot dogs at a small place
along Main Street in Pittston. It's one of those
places where "regulars" and "visitors",like me,
are likely to sit at the counter and share sections
of the newspaper as we feast on "two dogs with
everything." Others sat and chatted on either
side of tables set up in small booths. A few
Christmas decorations were set out here and
there.
    I didn't know anyone in the place.  Yet, there
was a cozy "home town" sort of atmosphere
that gave me the spirit of the season along
with the tang of the chili sauce on the hot dog!
    There's a Train Shop a couple blocks away.
    Just a look in the window brought back
 memories of the days when I waited
 anxiously....first for the Lionel Train
Catalog....then for Christmas morning to see
if one of those new trains was among the
presents under the tree.
    I was actually headed through another
small town when I spotted a small Sports
Shop. I don't know exactly what prompted
me to stop. It might have been the word
"Archery" on the sign.
   Many years ago I taught archery at the
YMCA in Hazleton. A State Champion
had taught me. But I haven't picked up
a bow for years and the days when I made
my own arrows were well before the
development of the modern "Compound"
bows that are used now.
   I actually had to pull and hold the
string under my own power.
   It was a nice little shop with an owner
who loves to chat. I stayed longer than
planned. He was cleaning what looked
like a either a 350 Magnum or a small
cannon so I thought it polite to listen as
long as he wanted to go on.
   That turned out to be awhile!
   Fortunately, like a tag team in
wrestling, another customer walked in
and took over.  I said hello to him,
goodbye to the proprietor, and slipped
away.
    The "little" stores don't get the
attention they used to back in the day.
     That's too bad.
     Many have a lot to offer!
     Maybe a comfortable place to eat.
     Maybe some memories of Christmas
Past.
     Or maybe just a chat with a guy
cleaning a gun!
     Hope you'll do a "little" Christmas
shopping too and that all your NEWS
is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment