Thursday, November 15, 2012

But Wait! There's More!


      Hometown is a tiny village that's actually part
of Rush Township, about 10 miles south of
Hazleton.
       Some 1400 people call the Township home.
       But every Wednesday, 52-weeks-a-year, the
population swells by thousands!
       Most of those "extra people" are headed to
the Hometown Farmer's Market.
       Yesterday, our friends, my wife and I joined
the crowd!
        While there are a fair number of farmers at
this market you could just as easily call it a
'Flea Market" because of the wide variety of
merchandise found there.
        It's the kind of places where the women
keep their eyes open for clothing bargains
while the men, like my buddy and me, find things
we didn't come looking for but suddenly find we
desperately need!
        There are, for instance, all kinds of tools and
accessories set out on tables or sheets on the ground.
        They really looked neat to me even though I
don't have the faintest idea what most of them do!
         There are all kinds of sports shirts bearing
the logos of just about any professional team you
can name! I'm not sure if any of the teams know
they're here. (They don't yet have the "RailRiders!)
          The sneaker display grabbed my attention.
          The 'white' in my current pair has evolved
into a sort of bright grey and the tread on my
heels is beginning to reflect the 200 or so miles I've
walked a mile at a time every morning.
           The salesman was an Asian gentleman
who didn't say much except "cash only."  He did
allow me to use a folding chair while I tried on a
pair.
           At first they seemed extremely tight. Then
I found all the paper stuffed inside to make sure
they hold their shape while on display. If you take
it out...you'll get a better fit!
           Armed, or "footed" with my new footwear
we moved on.
           We passed on "deals" featuring jewelry,
jackets, hats shaped like animals, shoe fly pies,
toys, Disney movies on VHS tapes, wardrobe
items for members of the "Red Hat Society,"
back scratchers, batteries,  hair cutting kits,
and so on and so forth.
          But wait! There's more! And we didn't
pass on everything!
          My wife needed spaghetti squash. I wonder
if you serve that with meatballs?
          I bought a big block of cheese so Sharpe I
may shave with it!
          And there was the gift that keeps on
giving! Smoked kielbasi. Hours after it's purchase
it was serving as a sort of  exotic  but unexpected
"air freshener" in my buddy's car!
          It's in our refrigerator now. But I have no
doubt it's presence will be remembered for a
day or two in his vehicle.
           I don't remember everything we saw. But I
probably need some of those things so we'll have
to set another Wednesday aside to go back and find
them!
           Hope your air freshener gives off a Pine
scent and that all your NEWS is good!


                                                                              









 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment