Saturday, November 24, 2012

Escape from Black Friday!


    I guess you could call it a post Thanksgiving urge!
    While thousands of people raced to Black Friday
sales and others raced to their refrigerators for left
overs, I talked my wife, daughter, and two of our
grand kids into heading out for a picnic.
     We wanted to avoid the crowds. And I knew
just the place!
      Many many years ago in a heavily wooded and
somewhat secluded section of Worlds End State Park
workers from a group called the Civilian Conservation
Corps built two small stone pavilions....each with a
fire place and picnic tables.
     Armed with a Picnic basket, some cold meats, bread,
and a couple of snacks we got to one of the shelters just
as some light rain began to fall.
     The cloudy sky and dense woods made the place
pretty dark. But between the wood we grabbed off the
ground and some left inside by previous visitors we were
all set to build a comfortable fire.
      My grand son pulled out his trusty flint powered fire
starter. But numerous strikes failed to ignite our small
pile of kindling. My wife stepped in with just one stick
and started the blaze. I still say it was a match!
      Thanksgiving's turkey, stuffing, and pie was great!
      But there's something about pepperoni, ham, and fig
newtons in front of a fire that makes for a pretty good
feast too!
       I had to use my camera's "night vision setting" to
capture the moments. Of course that makes everything
look green!
       We thought we ought to leave the place even better
than we found it so we decided to decorate for Christmas!
       Believe it or not light strings,tinsel, and ornaments
are not easy to come by in the middle of a forest!
        That's why we decided on a more natural theme!
        Evergreens did the job pretty well on top of the fireplace
mantle. We found some little red berries too and added a
few of them to the mix. And, no, we didn't taste the berries!
        The crowning touch was provided by some aluminium
foil someone left behind. I fashioned it into a star. Then my
daughter refashioned it into a better star. Then
my wife refashioned it again and made it actually look like
a star. Hey,,,at least I found the foil!
         We set it up on among those evergreens on the center
of the mantel.
          Few visitors ever get to this place so I'm not sure how
many people, if any, will actually get to appreciate our
artistic endeavors. But, like they say, it's the thought that
counts!
          We'll probably do the house soon too.
          Hope I can find find some red berries and aluminium
foil...and that all your NEWS is good!




                    MORE PHOTOS                     












































































No comments:

Post a Comment