Monday, November 12, 2012

Indian Summer?


   That bright UFO that hovered over our area
yesterday turned out to be the sun!
    I'm not sure if the day qualified as "Indian
Summer." But whatever you called it, sign me
up for more!
    We used the day to head into the shadow
of PPL's Nuclear Power Plant towers in
Salem Township. Well.....not actually in their
shadows. We were actually across the street
at the "Riverlands."
    The public recreation area has picnic pavilions,
playgrounds, and a ball field.
    There's also a one and a half mile trail where
mules used to walk. It's built along part of the
old North Branch Canal.
    There' also a small lake where you can fist.
    It's called "Lake Took-a-while."  It's a
reflection of the time it took to build and license
the power plant and park area.
    All these features and, for me, some memories
too!
    Many years ago my former cameraman and
I decided to take a canoe trip down the
Susquehanna to the Riverlands.
    It didn't begin very well. My one man canoe
sunk at Wilkes-Barre's Kirby Park when the
two of us got in.
    After we dumped all the water out and
rearranged ourselves and equipment we
pressed on with our journey.
    As we later learned we didn't really get
all the water out. Seems there was still plenty
in my cameraman's lunch box!
    Somewhere, at the bottom of the
Susquehanna or in the Chesapeake Bay, two
bologna sandwiches fed a lot of fish!
    My lunch  fared a little better so I shared
with him as we sailed on.
    I thought about that journey as we visited
the Riverlands yesterday.
    The trip was a lot easier by car.....and just
as pleasant with the top down.
    We had lunch earlier so that wasn't a
problem.
    And my little sports car, though not much
bigger than the canoe, didn't sink!
    Hope you enjoyed the day and that all of
your NEWS is good!
   
  





























































No comments:

Post a Comment