Saturday, November 17, 2012

It's A Jungle Out There!


         We are surrounded by animals!
          Pennsylvanian has a state bird, the ruffled
grouse, a state dog, the Great Dane, a state animal,
the White Tale Deer, and even a state fish, the Brook
Trout.
          Now, northeastern Pennsylvania has an animal
of it's own. It's the Porcupine!
          I would have thought they'd pick a cat!
          They're all over the place around my development!
          I haven't actually seen a lot of porcupines around
here lately. But the folks who run our Triple A
Baseball team have brought us a porcupine!
         He's part of the official logo for the team's new
name..."The RailRiders."
         He's pictured, with an aggressive face, straddling
a set of railroad tracks drawn above the name "RailRiders."
          I'm not sure if the team or the marketing people
noticed this...but he's not actually riding anything. He's
just sitting there.
          I'm thinking that look will change pretty quickly
when the train comes speeding down those tracks!
          I have to admit I wasn't real big on the idea of
changing the team's name. I like the Yankees and that
name has been good enough for me.
         That said, the owners held a contest to re brand
the team and the name "RailRiders" got the most votes.
         It's suppose to  "celebrate" our region's
railroad heritage. Railroads were big around these parts.
         I'm not real sure how the porcupine fits into our
heritage. I've tried to do a little research. But nothing
'sticks' in my mind!
         Of course the use of animal names and symbols
is not new to baseball. Several  Major League teams use
animals in their names or logos.
         The RailRiders will certainly have something in
common with one of those teams. They, and the Arizona
Diamondbacks both have mascots you won't want to
pet!
         I should point out that the local Yankee franchise
is also hanging on to "Champ", the mascot it introduced
a few years ago.  Nobody seems to know exactly what
kind of animal he's suppose to be. But he's popular.
Especially with the kids.
         Should be interesting when the Phillies team
comes to town. It will be the Pigs against the
Porcupines! A real "cat and dog fight!"   
         Wonder how the people at PETA feel about that?
         Like I said....it's a jungle out there!
         At least the timing is good!
         The RailRiders season begins in April next year.
         Porcupine hunting season ends in March!
         Hope they're on the right track and that all your
NEWS is good!

        
        
        
        
     

















      

No comments:

Post a Comment