Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Take A Hike!!!!!


   On Sunday, as reported in this Blog, my wife and
I "rediscovered" the "Riverlands" a public park
operated by PPL near the base of it's Nuclear Power
Plant in Salem Township.
   Yesterday we returned to the scene of the crime
with our two grandson's in tow.
    Thanks to the pleasant, though all too brief, good
weather we were able to enjoy a picnic and toss a
football around a bit before we set out on our
adventure.
    The plan was a hike on one of several trails set
up around the park.
    Somehow, some one knew we were coming!
    I know this because we found a map with an
arrow pointing towards the very spot where we were
standing and printing reading "You Are Here." 
    It's good to be prepared when you're going on a
hike and our 9-year-old grandson was about as
prepared as you could get.
    His backpack included extra clothes, a whistle,
a pocket knife and fire starter, and a bottle of water.
    He also carried a large garbage bag...an addition
suggested by my wife who apparently saw it used
as a protective "sleeping bag" on an edition of
"Survivor Man." Glad to see she's paying
attention to informative TV programs!
   He also provided us with two portable two way
radios to keep in constant contact. Since we never
really got too far apart we found that yelling
worked pretty well too!
   You see a lot of interesting things when you're
walking through the woods.
    I spotted leprechaun tracks along the way.
    My wife and the grandsons suggested they might
have actually been made by deer.
    Hey...I'm basically a "city guy."
    There was a rusty old hulk half buried in the
mud and brush just off the trail.
    I suppose it could have been the remains of either
of two early Subarus I owned. Both started rusting
minutes after I bought them.
    We found a "Bat Box." But, again, my grandsons
chimed in assuring me it did not house a phone to
call Bat Man!
    The trail was probably about a mile or so long.
    It just seemed like three!
    But all of us found the perfect cure for our aches
and pain. It's called ice cream!
    Hope you get a chance to enjoy nature along the
way and that all your NEWS is good!

   
   




















































 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment