Tuesday, November 6, 2012

"I Just Called To Say......"


       I've met a lot of pretty famous people during my
days on the news beat.
       James Garner, Jack Palance, Cliff Robertson,
Paul Sorvino and former President Gerald Ford to name
just a few.
       But none of them every called me.
       All of a sudden I've been hearing from all sorts of
people on the "Celeberity Circut."
       I brought this subject up just the other day. But, since
then, the barage of telephone calls has increased  beyond
belief
      While many come from various committees I've
never heard of a lot of pretty well know dudes have
gotten into the act too.
       At our house we've had calls fro Mitt Romney,
Congressman Lou Barletta, , Bob Barker,
Congressional candidate Tom Smith, Pat Boone,
Governor Tom  Corbett and the late President Ronald
Reagan's son Michael!
       There are many many more! But we usually
hung up before they could give us their name.
       I felt a little bad for hanging up  too soon on the
Barker call. I was wondering, afterwards, if his message
might have been an appeal to have our pet fish or
cockateil spayed or nutered.
       My daughter got a call from Clint Eastwood. That
made me laugh a little.
       At the Republican National Convention he spoke
to an empty chair.
       Now they've got him making phone calls to homes
where a lot of people probably aren't listening. So, in
essence, nobody's there.
       Maybe he's rehersing for a one man show?
       Perhaps it's just me. But these "Robo calls" have
become far more than just annoying.
       It's not just a matter of ignoring the calls.
       When our phone rings we have to stop whatever
we're doing for at least a minute to check the Caller ID,
if we're close enought to that phoine, or answer one of
the extensions.
       A few friends have phones that come up as
"Annomous" on our screen so we answer everything
that comes in.
       To make matters worse our new Voice Mail
doesn't allow you to erase the message until after it
has completed playing. That really needs to be changed!
       I wonder how far we'd get if we ever tried calling
any of the people who called us?
       I'd like to tell Clint how much I like his movies.
       I'd tell Bob Barker how he miss him on The Price
Is Right.
       I'd ask Pat Boone if he still wears White Bucks!
       I think I'd ask Tom Smith why that "laid off" coal
miner is holding his hard hat in those TV commercials.
Don't you just use those when you're at work?
       Lou Barletta might take my call. We've know each
other for a few years. We're both from Hazleton where
his family used to run  the Angela Amusement Park.
        I'd probably ask if he ever thought about reopening.
        I don't know what I'd say if I called the Presidential
candidates. I'd only hope my call came through while they
were trying to eat of watch their favorite TV show.
        I'm also wondering if the winners will call to say
"Thanks?"
         Oh well.....at least nobody called "collect!"
         Hope your phone is still on the hook and that all
of your NEWS is good.


























































     
      

No comments:

Post a Comment