Saturday, September 14, 2013

Butterflies Are Free!

                      SEPT 14-15

     I must have driven by Creekside Gardens near
Tunkhannock a thousand times without stopping.
Guess I just never really noticed the place.
     But on Saturday we made it our destination..
     My grand daughter wanted to see the folks
there release the Monarch Butterflies they've
been raising. I was surprised to see a couple
hundred other people who had the same idea!
Seems a Butterfly release is a big deal!
     Once they are released these attractive
insects are suppose to begin a migration to
Mexico! That's a long flight for a little bug!
      The first one we spotted began the long
journey by moving from a flower onto my
grand daughter's fingers. Maybe he thought
she was going to drive him to Tijuana. But
she's just 12 and doesn't drive yet.
      Besides, Butterflies are suppose to fly
to and across the border.
      But they're also suppose to do it in
temperatures at least in the 65 degree range.
On Saturday the thermometer seemed
frozen in the 50's.
      Butterflies must have thermometers
because they showed no intention of flying
anywhere! They just hung onto the nearest
possible flower or, in my grand daughter's
case, fingers!
      I can't much blame them! I wanted to
get back into the car as soon as possible
and set the heater to at least 65!
      Butterflies are apparently much
smarter than I thought! 
      Hopefully they'll soon get temperatures
warm enough to start their journey south.
(I wonder if they stop at "South of the
Border?) 
      Hope you do too and that all of your
NEWS is good!

































 

No comments:

Post a Comment