Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Coming Attraction!


     Regular readers of my Blog already know I've
been very impressed with the improvements I've
been seeing in Downtown Pittston. Central city
is looking pretty good.
     And the latest plans there have me really
excited. Those plans involve bringing a Movie
Theater back to the downtown!
     Petula Clark might be surprised to know there
are not always movie shows to go to Downtown
these days!
     What's unusual about Pittston's plan is the
fact that it envisions a single screen theater with
a usable stage! Who builds theaters with stages?
      Most theater complexes have to have a lot
of screens so they can keep movies in long
enough to make any money.
      I took a look at the proposed site yesterday
and it's easy to see why Pittston's plan doesn't
include several movie screens. There isn't
enough room for more than one. Unless they
plan to build a skyscraper with one screen per
floor!
     The space, as it currently appears, looks a
lot like an ally between two existing buildings.
      The plan, as I understand it, will be to show
"second run" features in the new movie house
and allow local stage groups to present plays
there as well. I'm hoping "Second run"
includes Cartoons! I could stand a little
Road Runner every now and then!
       I remember when Pittston's American
Theater was still around. It was the classic
big theater that you used to find in every
big city's downtown.
       There were some efforts to save it after
it closed. But they didn't work.
        I'd like to see this new plan succeed! I
wouldn't have to go quite as far to get fresh
popcorn! Small as the space may be they
should be able to include a concession stand!
         Hope to see you at the movies (in
Pittston) and that all your NEWS is good!

Proposed theater
site in Pittston.


























American Theater
Pittston.







No comments:

Post a Comment