Friday, September 6, 2013

Mile Posts Along Memory Lane!

  
         BLOG FOR SEPT 6-7

     Our trip down memory lane continued
Friday. And, for us. that "lane" includes a
lot of roads through New England.
     When you travel roadways you haven't
seen for a lot of years you often forget
what's around the next bend!
      One of those bends in New Hampshire
took us to Santa's village! We had our kids
there,..about 39 years or so ago. It was so
good to see it's still around. I can remember
our daughters riding a merry-go-round there.
the traditional horses were replaced by
reindeer!
     We used to haul a camper to New England
in those days. and we didn't usually book in
advance. We just started to look for a
campground when we got tired driving.
     On this trip we stumbled upon one that
brought back some interesting memories. it's
near Saint Johnsbury, Vermont. he just had
to stop to see it again!
     Many years back, after a full day of
driving, which took us many miles and into
a very dark night, we found the Moose River
campground. Although we pulled in late at
night the owners were kind enough to give us
a site where we quickly parked and collapsed
into our bunks.
     Early in the morning I heard what I
initially thought was an earthquake. the camper
shook and shook. but everyone, but me, was
sound asleep! Was it just a realistic nightmare?
     NO!
     It wasn't until morning, when I went outside,
that I saw the railroad tracks, less than 25
feet from the rear of our camper! Thank the
lord I hadn't backed up much more! We would
have made a terrible Caboose!
     As I said, the campground is still there. the
tracks are as well.But they're no longer in use.
      Still, even as I walked the rusty rails to get
a photo, I can vividly remember the train that
that roared by that night. I wonder if present
day campers ever hear a phantom freight from
time to time?
      Hope your memories, and your NEWS, are
good!












































     

No comments:

Post a Comment