Monday, November 4, 2013

A Fish Story!


    Our intent was simple. We decided to
take a drive to Tunkhannock to see a movie
at the Dietrich, one of our very favorite
theaters. We love the drive and the theater
too.
    The movie was great, and the pop corn
tasty. But as we left, with the sun still
shining, I had the feeling the day was not
yet complete.
    I suppose it was the bridge over the
Susquehanna that started me reminiscing
about the days when I used to fish from the
rocks near that very span!
    My wife suggested I should do it again
and reminded me I carry a small portable
fishing kit in the truck of both of our cars!
    These kits, unused since their purchase at
least a year ago, contain a rod that expands
from about one to five feet, an enclosed
reel that screws onto the rod, a few tiny
lures, three small split shot (weights), and
about as many hooks. They are probably
designed to be used by 10-year-olds who
have access to a small pond somewhere.
Perfect for me. Right?
    A near by Sporting Goods store offered
the prospect of live bait. But I had no bait
box. You see this kit was in the truck of my
Miata which has just enough room for the
kit, my donut spare tire and, perhaps a small
bag or two.
  That problem was solved with a convenient
coffee container and next thing I knew I was
making my way down a dirt path to those
very rocks I remembered.
   I admit to feeling a little funny challenging
the river with what amounts to a kid's fishing
kit.  But there's still a lot of "kid" in me and,
apparently, fish don't know the difference
between a 2 to 600 dollar quality reel and my
$15 kit.
    I say that with some confidence (and pride)
because of the sudden tug on my light line
which, when retrieved by my inexpensive reel,
resulted in the the landing of a fair sized Small
Mouth Bass!
   After a very quick photo opportunity I returned
my catch, safe and sound, to the depths of the river
from whence he came. Satisfied with both my
catch and my economical fishing kit I set the rest
of my minnows free too.
   Maybe next time I'll bring my whole tackle box,
a folding chair, and some snacks! I could get used
to this scene! With or without a movie!
    Hope you're hooked on my Blog and that all your
 NEWS is good!


No comments:

Post a Comment