Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Early Dismissal


  Well, as expected, the season's first snowfall
prompted many regional school districts to
either delay the start or classes, call for an
early dismissal or, in some cases, cancel
classes completely.
  A couple school bus accidents reminded us
about the dangers of traveling when there's a
storm warning.
  But they reminded me of something else! The
good old days of local school districts and
neighborhood schools!
  My Elementary school was located two blocks
from my home. My Junior High school was all
of three blocks away.
  My High School was a full mile away. And
you had to cross a city street that was also a
State Highway to there.
  While there was some bus transportation, most
of us walked to school! No, it was not uphill in
both directions. But it was a walk whether it was
sunny, rainy, or snowing. Sometimes back and
forth twice as lunch was usually at home!
  During my 12 years school was only cancelled
once because of a snow storm. That must have
been a dozy!
  And it must have hit the night before or early
morning of the school day. No cancellation based
on predictions back then!
  And do you ever wonder how some of our old
buildings, not good enough to be schools anymore,
are now apartment buildings for senior citizens?
Of course I, for one, would have no interest in
trying to relax in a room where I once took math
and spelling tests!
    I'd like to see some of them reopened as schools!
    Maybe kids would be safer and healthier if they
could walk to a neighborhood school once again!
And many they wouldn't have to cancel or cut so
much class time!
    Hope you remember the "good old days" and
that all your NEWS is good!


No comments:

Post a Comment