Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Who Goes There?


    I did my civic duty and stopped at
the polls yesterday to cast my ballot. I
haven't missed an election since I first
registered to vote. And I've been voting
in my current district in Plains Township
for the past 44 years!
    Some things have changed over those
years.
    Initially, for instance, I used to cast my
ballot in one of those big voting machines
where you stepped behind a curtain and
pulled levers which registered on a paper
tabulation sheet built into the machine.
    Later on we switched to electronic
voting machines that you had to take a
course to operate.
   Our polling place changed over the years
too. I went from an old social hall to one of
our Township Fire Halls.
    They even changed the number of our
ward!
     But through all the years and the changes,
 I came! The Poll workers all know me!
    I made myself a list of the candidates I
intended to support and was all set to take on
the machine when I came in yesterday.
     But before I could sign in the workers got
to asking me about the TV Special I did on
the 60th anniversary of WYOU. One wanted
to know about the weekly show I do on
Electric City Television, while another
questioned me about the trips my wife and I
host for Thompson Travel.
    They seemed to know about everything I'm
involved with! Then they asked for my photo
ID!
     Now I know a photo ID "request" was the
policy for this election and I've got no problem
with the concept. But after our pre-voting
conversation I'm wondering if they thought I
was one of those guys from Mission Impossible
wearing a David DeCosmo mask and
electronically duplicating the voice!?
     I'm sure glad my Driver's License was right
there in my wallet! At that point I wanted to
make sure I was me too!
    Hope you know who your are and that all your
NEWS is good!


No comments:

Post a Comment