Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Back In The Saddle Again!


   I found myself "back in the saddle again"
last night! And it felt like being home.
   55 years ago, almost to the day, I made
my debut in local radio. I was an Errand
boy at WAZL in Hazleton.
   But on the night of the company
Christmas Party I got to sit at the Control
Board and run the musical programs the
DJ's had produced a day or so before.
   Then, at the top of the hour, I got to open
the microphone and give the Station ID.
"This is WAZL and WAZL FM, Hazleton
Pennsylvania." That short sentence was the
first time I got on the air. And, to me, it was
a dream come true. I always wanted to be
on the radio!
   Several years as a DJ followed, then radio
news, and then television. I'm still doing a
lot of TV although these days it's as a
volunteer. I never got paid much anyway!
   Last night I joined WILK Talk Show Host
L.A. Tarone as we reminisced about my
career and some of the news stories I covered
over all those many years. I actually remember
some of them. That, in itself, is an
accomplishment.
    I got to talk to some very nice listeners who
called in to share their memories and opinions.
     I especially enjoyed the memories. As a
reporter I tried to steer clear of opinions. I
was taught that newsmen were suppose to be
a lot like the late Jack Webb in Dragnet....
"Just the facts Mam."
     We did talk a little about my DJ days too.
I played the "oldies" when they were new!
I was a little nuttier then although my wife
would probably say there's been no change.
     My best radio days were spent at WILK.
It was nice to sit behind that logo again!
     Hope some of you remember and that
all your NEWS is good!



    

No comments:

Post a Comment