Friday, December 5, 2014

High On The House Top!


   My wife saved the best of our annual
Christmas decorating for last. The lights
that circle part of our front porch and
the roof line along the street.
    This task requires some knowledge
of electricity and carpentry. Since I
know how to plug appliances, of all sorts,
into electrical outlets and since I was
once seen with a hammer in my hand I
was recruited to do the job.
    Although it took awhile, my wife and
I figured which end of which light string
had to be connected to our remote sensor
so we're able to control the lights from
inside the house. This is especially handy
when the outside temperatures hover
around the freezing mark.
    Once it was determined that all of the
lights actually illuminated when
energized the next job was to affix them
to the rooftop.
    I am shorter than our roof. Therefore,
to reach it, I was required to climb a ladder
with a light string in one hand and a staple
gun in the other. I'm not a big fan of
ladders! I think they should be used by
firemen.
     Bravely I set out to make the 200 foot
climb. All right.....perhaps it was only 5
feet or so. It seemed every bit of 200!
     Working the staple gun was a lot like
using one of those spring loaded exercise
units you squeeze with your hand. I
managed to get enough staples in to hold
up the lights without hitting any of the live
wires that feed the tiny bulbs!
     We don't have a lot of outside lights.
But they seem to look especially
impressive when compared to other
neighborhood homes that seem to be
observing the season with a black out!
     They'll be sorry when Santa shows up!
     He'll spot us right away. Just hope he
doesn't step on any of the staples I dropped....
and that all your NEWS is good!




No comments:

Post a Comment