Sunday, February 15, 2015

I Finally Made It!


   Many years ago, just after my short
stint as an errand boy for a radio station
in my hometown, I started to send out
applications for a job as a DJ.
   One of the first, as I recall, was sent
to a station based in Lansford. WLSH.
   I received a reply after a few weeks
from the station owner. A gentleman
named Bud Angst.
   It was one of the first rejections I
ever had in my broadcasting life. As
best I recall Mr. Angst told me
I didn't have enough experience to
warrant consideration. He was, of
course, right.
    Now, some 55 years later, I find I
have become a "regular" on the air at
WLSH! Guess all those years on the
air did the trick!
     A veteran broadcaster in his own
right, Mark Marek, runs a call-in show
every Saturday called Coal Region
Connections. It's a nostalgic program as
listeners remember the people, places,
businesses, and stories that made an
impact on our lives and the development
of our area over the years.
     Mark has encouraged me to call the
program each week to share my stories
about the area we call home. He and his
folks at the station have also been kind
enough to share a link to this Blog so a
lot more people will soon be laughing
at, or with, me!
      I don't get paid for my participation.
But nothing is just a little less than what
I made in the business anyway so that's
fine with me!
      I'm thrilled to have made it on WLSH
even if it's just by way of a weekly phone
call.
      I still remember that initial rejection
letter. But I also remember my reply when
I thanked Mr. Angst for his consideration,
and told him that between my application
and his response I had accepted a job with
another station that had just opened in my
hometown! And the rest, as they say, is
history.
      Hope you'll listen on line to Mark's
show on Saturday mornings and that all
your NEWS is good!



No comments:

Post a Comment