Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Another Orbit In The Books!

  THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 17TH.

ANOTHER ORBIT IN THE BOOKS!

    Well it's happen again! I have completed
another trip around the sun. It's my 73rd Lap!
If I lived on Mars I'd only be about 36 and a
half. One year on Mars is 687 days!
     My celebration actually started last
Saturday. My grand daughter Kara's Birthday
is September 14th. Since mine is so close we
usually try to get everybody together to
celebrate both.
     After Wednesday though I wasn't sure
I'd finish my orbit!
     Faced with a beautiful day my wife and
I put the top down in the Miata and headed
north towards Watkins Glen, New York.
We had no specific plan. Maybe a cruise
on a tour boat. Maybe a stop at a winery.
     But my wife surprised me with a request
to walk along the famous Watkins Glen
Waterfalls Trail! Neither of us walk a lot
and neither does very well up hill. The
Falls Trail is very much uphill!
     While the entire trail was out of the
question we agreed to go part way. And
so we did. Step by step. Foot by foot.
Stopping every ten yards or so to take a
photo (and catch our breath!). I was
beginning to wonder if I'd finish my orbit
and make my Birthday when we reached
the part of the trail that goes behind
Cascade Falls. That was far enough for
us to declare victory.
     Our pride was somewhat shattered by
the next hiker to observed we had
walked up 128 steps to that point!
About a half inch on the trail map. But
then I remembered.....we had to go back
down! That's 256 steps in anybody's
book. Or about a full inch on the map!
     I would make my Birthday. And
proudly at that! Hope one of my presents
is liniment, and that all your NEWS is
good!

 . 



No comments:

Post a Comment