Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Pretty Corny!

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 3RD.
        PRETTY CORNY!

    We've had a pretty corny couple
of weeks around our house. Sweet
corn that is!
     There's been an excellent supply
this season and it seems to taste
better every time we buy a few
more ears.
      My love for corn dates back to
the days when my late Uncle Bud
took my cousin and me fishing. I
remember wondering why he'd
suddenly pull the car off the road
near a very rural farmer's field, get
out, and step back in with about
three ears of corn. We'd cook it
up on an open fire in place of the
fish we usually didn't catch.
      I was probably in my early
teens when I realized Uncle Bud
didn't own those fields. I suspect
he was doing some sort of taste
testing  research for the Department
of Agriculture or something like
that.
      I bought a dozen ears at a
local Farm Market yesterday. I
didn't tell them about my Uncle
Bud. I'm thinking that story might
not go over so well.
      When I got home I unwrapped
the bag and let my wife unwrap
the corn. It comes in its own
wrapping you know! We enjoyed
it as part of our dinner.
     Of course, not all corn is used
as food. 40% of the crops produced
in the United States is used for
ethanol which, of course, is a
additive for gas. That shouldn't
surprise any of you who have
eaten too much corn!
      Hope this good supply lasts a
little longer and that all your NEWS
is good!


     
      


No comments:

Post a Comment