Monday, September 7, 2015

Up The Lazy River!

   TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 8TH.

       UP THE LAZY RIVER!

   I'm not sure if it was the last place
I expected to spend Labor Day. But
it was pretty close to that!
    My daughter-in-law called to
invite us "up the river." Not currently
having any family or close friends
incarcerated I wasn't quite sure what
"up the river" meant.
    As it turns out it meant exactly
what it implied. She was planning
a brief outing to a stretch along the
Susquehanna where she spent many
days as a kid.
    After traversing a steep hill
apparently designed for Mountain
goats we found ourselves sitting
along a beautiful section of the
river comfortably shaded by the
same hill we had descended and
some very tall trees.
     The kids waded in the refreshingly
cool water while one of the two dogs
we brought along happily chased
rocks tossed into the flow, then
cooled those of us on shore as he
shook the water off his coat.
     There was also an impromptu
stone skipping competition among
members of our crew.
     While the river did seem "lazy"
it also proved to be a busy
thoroughfare!  Several groups of
Kayakers floated by as well as a
inflatable raft and a high powered
Air Boat.
      I had thoughts of retrieving my
fishing rod. But it was packed
away in the trunk of my car which,
as I quickly recalled, was parked
on top of that steep hill I mentioned.
      So, instead of casting a line, I
relaxed in my folding chair until
it was time to climb "Mt. Everest" and
return to our vehicles.
     We made it, even without Sherpa
guides, and can now reflect on a
very enjoyable afternoon filled with
family and memories....old and new!
     Hope the rubber raft guy made it
back upstream...and that all your
NEWS is good!


























No comments:

Post a Comment