Friday, October 13, 2017

FORGET ABOU IT!


    SATURDAY, OCTOBER 14TH., 2017
             FORGET ABOU IT!

      I'm on a roll folks so please bear with
me!
      My visit back to Hazleton, my old
home town, has prompted a lot of
response both from people in and out
of "The Mountain City."
      I visited a number of places, mostly
homes and apartments now, that were
popular business places when I grew up
there.
      There was one place I didn't show.
I couldn't. First it wasn't there any more.
Secondly, I couldn't remember the name.
       In an "Italian city" (well it was then)
when you might expect to hear the phrase
"Forget about it," I forgot about it!
        But the place was so unique I figured
it deserved to be remembered. Even if I
couldn't remember its name.
         It was located in an alley just one
block from Broad Street, Hazleton's main
street.
         It was tough to park in the narrow
street but once you did you looked for a
brick building with a dark steel door.
         The name of the business was
posted on the door with stick on letters.
You entered and immediately found
yourself in a closet sized area with
another door on your left and a door
bell button on the wall.
          It was important not to let the
first door close behind you because
you would find yourself in total darkness
if you did!
          Next step, press the button and
right the bell. About now you half
expected to hear a voice saying "Forget
about it!"
           But that's when the man who
ran the place would let you in and you'd
see several candy display cases filled
with goodies of all sorts and, likely,
packing boxes in the adjoining room.
           Now I remember! This was
Jacob's Candy Store. I'm not sure if
they actually made the candy there or
distributed from the warehouse-like
facility.
             I do know their candy was
delicious and I made several visits
there when my Dad was still alive and
we visited Hazleton most every weekend.
            I don't know when they closed
but I believe there's an empty lot on the
]site now. Or I missed the door that once
bore the Jacob's name.
             I just had to share. You can't
make up stories like that!
             Hope you don't forget about it and
that all your NEWS is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment