Thursday, October 12, 2017

REMEMBERING AND FORGETTING!


       FRIDAY, OCTOBER 13TH., 2017
   REMEMBERING AND FORGETTING!

     I was very impressed by the overwhelming
response to my Thursday Blog about my visit
to my old hometown!
     A lot of non-Hazletonians liked seeing my
memories while those who grew up in the
"Mountain City" shared their own thoughts
about some of the places I recalled.
      I decided to add a couple more today
but admit my memory isn't as good as I'd
like it to be in all cases.
      If you've ever driven through Hazleton
you may well recognize a couple of the
buildings even if you don't know the history.
       The Hotel Altamont still stands at the
corner of Church and Broad Streets in
Hazleton. It hasn't been a hotel for many
years but unlike the Casey in Scranton or
the Sterling in Wilkes-Barre, at least it's
still there!
        In 1960 I watched from the roof of
the old Capitol Theater as a guy named
John Kennedy gave a campaign speech
from in front of that hotel during his run for
President.
        It's future is unclear but, hopefully, the
former hotel can be preserved and serve some
useful purpose.
        There have already been some extensive
renovations to the old Markle Bank Building
on Broad Street in downtown Hazleton. It
now houses various offices and a restaurant
named after and featuring the popular Bar-B-Q
served at the former Knotty Pine Restaurant.
          Bui I still remember the huge lighted
sign, probably three stories high, that used
to flash the name Markle Band and Trust
Company on top of that already very tall
building.
           I often wonder what you do with a
sign structure like that after you take it
down? It's not like you could reuse it at
an ice cream stand!
           It's some of the smaller places
that have left holes in my memory.
           I found an apartment complex
on third street between Peace and Grant
where a small family owned market
once served the neighborhood. In my
memory it was called "Marcy's" but don't
hold me to it.
           It was typical of the old neighborhood
stores you'd find in our towns and cities
back in the 1950's and before in some cases.
          These days the only hint of their
existence is a larger than usual window
by the entrance door and, often, a door
way set up at a slant.
            A piece of advice if I may. If you
know the history of some of these "Used-
To-Be's" take a photo now, even if the
enterprise itself is long gone. Then jot
down your memories of the place so
they're preserved for our future.
             Hope they bring back pleasant
memories and that all your NEWS is
good!




































 

No comments:

Post a Comment