Friday, August 3, 2018

HANG EM' HIGH!


  SATURDAY, AUGUST 4TH., 2018
             HANG EM' HIGH!

     You see some unusual sights from
my front porch now and then.
       Air Force One flew over on
Thursday. Three days before that a
Parakeet showed up at our bird
feeder with the usual flock of
Sparrows and Mourning Doves.
       But it was the sight I saw
Friday that brought back memories.
       Just down the street I caught
sight of a whole lot of clothes
hanging outside on a line to dry
in the sunshine!
        I come from a time when a
scene like that was very common.
When we were kids we had to dodge the
rope and two tall metal poles in my
backyard while playing ball. In fact,
if I recall correctly, one of those poles
served as a goal and a safety spot
during games of Tag!
       Somewhere as the years passed
the clothes lines seemed to disappear.
        It probably dates back to suburban
housing developments when the
developers were looking to create a
very ascetic atmosphere free of visual
clutter and distractions. 
          We had and used one of those
"clothes trees" in our backyard for many
years. One of the companies that
managed our mobile home park banned
them, and clothes lines in general, during
its reign.
           I'm guessing the ban disappeared
when that group left or else the current
owner has no desire to enforce it. Good!
           I. for one, am pleased to see the
clothes drying outside in the sunshine
and breeze.
          Hope more people start to Hang
em' high and that all your NEWS is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment