Tuesday, August 7, 2018

OLDIES BUT GOODIES



    WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 8TH., 2018
            OLDIES BUT GOODIES!

   My niece presented me with a box of
oldies but goodies the other evening.
    She has been cleaning out her Mom's
former residence and came up with
what I expect will be a treasure of old
family pictures.
    I say "expect" because the box did
not contain photographs but, rather,
reels of old 8mm movies and Kodak
photo slides.
    I wonder how many of you remember
sitting in a darkened room with the sound
of a movie projector running from a nearby
table, it's beam projected on a portable
screen or, perhaps more likely, a white
sheet or simply a light colored wall?
    Or maybe you hailed from a family
whose father loved to have his vacation
pictures turned into slides as opposed to
photographs. You'd still need the darkened
room, projector, and "screen" of course.
     Technology has changed all that over
the years. Now, when you come across
these particular kinds of treasures you
find yourself searching for the equipment
it takes to enjoy them!
      Years ago I transferred my home 8mm
movies to dvd's. Perhaps, however, I didn't
get them all. I'll need to review those old
reels my niece turned up to find out!
       Fortunately the movie projector won't
be a problem. Mt niece came up with one of
those too and, just in case the bulb doesn't
work, I've got another packed away
somewhere.
       My best friend still owns a slide
projector so as soon as he can get it to me
the mysterious photos on those Kodak's
will be reveled.
        One problem remains. Among those
goodies was one VHS-C Cassette. For those
who don't remember, probably a lot of you,
a couple companies put out camcorders
that used a small recording cassette which
you would insert into an adapter to play in
a standard VHS video player. I have the
player and, hidden somewhere in this
house, there's an adapter I bought about
30 years ago and used (probably once)
to put someone else's home movies onto
dvd's.
         If I can find it all my NEWS will
be good. Hope I do and that yours
(NEWS) is good too!


No comments:

Post a Comment