Wednesday, August 8, 2018

MARK THIS PAGE!


    THURSDAY, AUGUST 9TH., 2018
              MARK THIS PAGE!

     In many states across the country
August 9th is observed as "Book Lovers
Day."
     It's a day that could probably be
named for my wife, one of my daughters,
and a granddaughter as well. In fact the
granddaughter's picture could logically be
used in any promotional efforts for this
day! But all three of them read as often
as they can.
     I was a great reader for many years.
Of course my initial interests in the
written word  came with publications
of Superman or Batman & Robin where
the text was supplemented with vivid
action drawings!
      I continued to read through the
years but the reading gave way to
writing. And the need to read a lot
of newspapers and wire service
material as I got into the news business
dampened my desire to spend off duty
hours reading still more!
     These days I will make an effort
to read only when the subject matter
really attracts me. That's nearly 100%
non-fiction. And I admit I still
appreciate a few pictures to support
the text where appropriate.
      My most recent reading efforts
have been prompted by friends to
seem to know what I'd like. My
collection of books on the Titanic,
for instance, could rival some
libraries!
       I recently completed a book
by the late Clayton Moore who
played The Lone Ranger on radio,
TV, and movies, as well as a
lengthy publication entitled
"Saturday Afternoon at the Movies"
which recalled the features and
serials I often watched growing up
at the neighborhood theaters in my
home town.
     "Blind Man's Bluff" is an account
of the surveillance work done by our
U.S. Submarine Service.
       I'm now reading a book about
"Click & Clack" the two brothers
who, for many years, did the "Car
Talk Show" on National Public
Radio.'
       I guess, even though I don't
read as much as other family
members, I could still be considered
a book lover when it comes to the
books I do choose.
      And I must admit, every now and
then, I feel the urge to find a comic
book somewhere. If I give in you
may find me stuck in a book daily!
      Although they're not books I
hope you enjoy reading my blogs and
that all your NEWS is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment