Wednesday, August 1, 2018

MY BIRTHDAY BUDDY BOB!


    WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 1ST., 2018
       MY BIRTHDAY BUDDY BOB!

    My old friend Bob Biscombe celebrates
his Birthday today!
    The term "old friend" in this case is an
understatement! It isn't that Bob is all that
terribly old, although I love to remind him
he's older than I (by about a month and a
half).
     The term, in this case, refers to the fact
that Bob and I have been friends since we
were in Grade School!
      Bob was at my home so often I wonder
why Mom and Dad didn't try to claim him
as a dependent! Many of his visits,
coincidently I'm sure, happen to come around
meal time. And though he never seemed to
gain any weight Bob was able and anxious
to consume anything that appeared before
him on a plate.
       I always said my family didn't need a
garbage disposal until Bob moved away to
go to college.
       Before that we shared summer
adventures together. He joined me on
several vacation trips to the Jersey shore
and winters would often find us enjoying
a movie or going for a ride somewhere.
       Even though life's path took us in
different directions we always remained
friends and got together whenever possible.
       We were in each other's weddings and,
indeed, his wife Peg became close friends
with my wife.
         Distance prevents us from getting
together as much as we'd like but we still
make the effort. Bob lives in upstate
New York so every so often he drives
south and I drive north and we meet for
dinner in Binghamton.
         Bob sometimes arrives a bit late.
That's because of his hobby.
          Bob carries a camera the way
Wild Bill Hickok carried a 6 shooter.
But Bob uses it more!
          If Bob, rather than Brady,
photographed the Civil War, most every
cannon shot would have been documented!
          He did catch me with "deer eyes"
once when he stopped on a railroad
track to take a picture. I'm not sure if
I was shocked more by the possibility
of being struck by a train or the
realization that he used to teach Driver's
Education!
             There's not too many people
who can boast of a friendship that dates
back nearly 70 years. We can and it's
worth boasting about!
              So Happy Birthday Buddy
Bob! Hope our friendship continues
for many more years and that all your,
and my reader's, NEWS is good!




No comments:

Post a Comment