Sunday, August 26, 2018

WITH FRIENDS LIKE THIS.....


    MONDAY, AUGUST 27TH., 2018
        WITH FRIENDS LIKE THIS....

     Most of you are well aware I use
Facebook a lot. There are posts about
my family, my trips, my TV show on
Electric City Television and, of course,
my daily blog.
      I love to share these things with
family and friends and Facebook offers
an easy way to do that.
      Every since I first joined I've been
accepting "Friend requests" from many
of the people  who asked me to do so.
Often their home location or
profession suggests that know me from
my nearly 60 years in the local media
or through mutual friends.
      But that's become a little less
dependable than it used to be.
      After accepting a few Friend requests
from people who claim to live in the
area or be area natives I've received
messages from them usually beginning
with something simple like "Hi. How
are you doing?"
        Deciding to greet my new "friends"
I've replied with comments such as "Fine
thank you. And you?" And that's when
it begins.
         Those greetings are followed by
a message in which the new "friend"
tells me how great life is now then
asks "Have you heard the good news?"
Usually, no matter how you reply
you then receive an invitation to
take advantage of some new government
program that offers you something for
nothing. I believe it's usually a federal
grant or the like.
          Now I'm all for getting free money
for doing virtually nothing but I've yet to
find a legitimate program like that.
          My policy now is to immediately
click on my new "friend's name" and
Unfriend them! Seems they're just
identity thieves who have come up with
some scam for anyone accepting their
"Friend request" and I suppose they
get enough suckers to make their
scheme work out.
           Of course I could be wrong and,
by now, I've probably lost thousands in
free money and about two dozen  new
 "friends."
             Think I'll just stick with you guys!
Hope you're still a friend and that all your
"Good NEWS" comes in my blog!          

No comments:

Post a Comment