Saturday, August 4, 2018

TO MARKET, TO MARKET...


    SUNDAY, AUGUST 5TH., 2018
     TO MARKET, TO MARKET...

   How you gonna keep them down
on the farm? Well you really don't
have to because they, the farmers,
and coming to you!
    Today kicks off National Farmer's
Market Week!
   Farmer's "markets" have been around
forever. My Mom and Dad used to stop
at those small sheds you'd see along the
highway in front of a farm and get a
bag of apples or peaches or whatever
and, chances are, we'd have emptied
the bag before we got back home.
I helped!
     Those road side stands can still
be found here and there but these
days farmers have united to set up
their markets in areas convenient to
people in various communities. And
people love them!
      Often, in addition to the latest
local produce, customers will find
entertainment and food vendors that
have turned the markets into social
events.
        That produce always seems
fresher when you find it at the
market even though those same
farmers may have sent some of that
same produce to grocery stores on
that same day.
         A few years back vouchers
started to be made available to folks
on fixed income which gave recipients
coupons they could spend at Farmer's
Markets for selected items like fruits
and vegetables. They've become a
big help to both the consumer and
the farmer.
          My wife and I enjoy shopping
at the farmer's markets. In fact I like
them so much I thought about
starting one! We've got a lot of
Blackberries on our bush this year
I figured we could gather and sell
them!
         Unfortunately the path between
the bush and the basket goes right
past my mouth and there were not
enough surviving berries to sell!
          Oh well. Maybe I can buy
some more at the next Farmer's
Market!
           Hope I'll see you there and
that all your NEWS is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment