Saturday, February 22, 2020

AS CAMERAS COME AND GO.


  SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 23RD., 2020
     AS CAMERAS COME AND GO.

   I'm not so sure about this idea of evolution.
If man has evolved from monkeys, why are
there still monkeys?
   It's a different story with cameras! I've seen
them evolve!
   When I was a kid we loaded a roll of film
(youngsters ask your parents or grandparents)
into a camera. Then we took a series of photos
and either sent that film to a laboratory or,
occasionally, took it to our basement
darkroom where we put it into a series of
chemicals then printed the pictures ourselves.
    I liked shooting video. I did it with an 8mm
camera that I would wind to make it move.
Again, it needed film which had to be sent to
the lab.
    Eventually I started using VHS video tape.
That was cool because I had two hours of
shooting time, as opposed to 3 minutes on
film, color and sound!
     That was followed by a series of different
video formats involving smaller cameras
and the ability to put the video right onto a
computer.
     Each of those cameras had one thing in
common. You looked through a viewfinder
or at a screen and saw your subject. Then
you started recording.
       Now they've got me using a Smartphone.
       It takes still photos and video.
       But most of the time I turn it on I see
myself!!!!! I have to touch a small icon that
looks like a camera which then switches
the phone from looking at me to looking'in front
of me!
        Once I've done that I touch a little white
"button" on the phone screen and it takes a
picture (or video) sometimes.
        My grandson tells me I'm touching the
screen too hard. (In "the old days I just
pressed the record button!).
        I've got to get it figured out soon. The
image in front of me keeps changing or
going away by the time get to take a shot.
And I really don't need any more photos of
me!
        Fortunately I've saved all the old
cameras and kept the batteries charged!
        Hope you get the picture...and that all
your NEWS is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment