Saturday, March 10, 2012

"Give Me Your Tired, Your Poor, Your.......W2s?"

   A funny thing happened to me during my walk
in West Pittston yesterday!
   I spotted the Statue of Liberty!
   It threw me for just a minute because I was
pretty sure the statue was in New York Harbor.
   In fact, I remember sailing around it during a
visit to the Big Apple two years ago.
   Besides everybody knows the Statue of Liberty
is big! 151feet 1 inch tall as I recall! (I didn't
really "recall" that. I looked it up.)
   The one in West Pittston was more like 5'10.
   And it was alive!
   Wow! Just imagine. A chance to meet and
talk with the Statue of Liberty. Or a reasonable
facsimile anyway.
   This one was welcoming huddled masses
yearning to get their income taxes done at
the Liberty Tax preparation office.
   And guess what! This was no "Lady Liberty."
   It was a guy in sheep's, or in this case Statue
of Liberty's, clothing!
   He seemed pretty friendly as he waved to all
the cars that were passing by.
   I asked if people waved back. He said some
did while others acknowledged him in a not so
friendly fashion. He just took those in stride.
   The real Statue of Liberty has always stood
for opportunity. And this young man saw the
chance to wear the costume as an opportunity
too. It's part time work...just four hours a day.
Only till mid April and in all kinds of weather!
    But he says he's happy to have the work while
he searches for something more permanent.
    This guy may be wearing a costume and
dancing near the street....but I think his outlook
is as "American" as they come!
    I hope he's successful and that all his, and
your, NEWS is good!                                               














2 comments:

  1. There is finally a simplified two-line 1040 form.
    Line 1: List your 2012 Income(all sources); Line 2: Send in the amount on line 1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point Steve! I fooled them this year....I didn't make anything, so I can't send it!

      Delete