Saturday, March 31, 2012

A Black (and Blue) Belt!

  Karate can be dangerous! I learned this
fact first hand a few years back when my
daughter was taking Karate.
   I teased her by taking a fake poke towards
her face.
   She reacted automatically and I had to wear
some heavy makeup on TV for the next two
weeks to hide my black eye!
    Last night my grandson completed the
last of three test sessions for his Black Belt!
    I thought math and science tests were
hard.
    At least nobody was breaking a board
over my shoulder during those exams, or
coming at me with a chain or a knife!
    Of course before he ever got to show
his skills against would-be attackers my
grandson had to do calisthenics that would
have tired a few Navy Seal candidates!
    I know I got tired just watching!
    After that "warm up" he defended
himself against attacks from other Brown
and Black Belt students carrying mock
guns, knives, and very real chains.
    I wouldn't be surprised to find that
some of those helpers went home with
some "Black Belt bruises!"
    It seems so real at times I wanted to
jump in and help.
    Then I remembered my fear of death!
    Seconds later I also remembered this
was a test...and I was never too good with
tests!
     Some two hours into the exercise he
got to break several boards and then a few
blocks of concrete.
     A good contractor could probably use
all that material now that it's been "hand
cut" to size!
     In the end my grandson's instructor
recognized his ability and dedication and
awarded him the coveted Black Belt.
     It was well deserved.
     After seeing just a bit of what he went
through to earn it I'll continue to get my
black belts from Walmart!
     Hope you're rewarded for all of your
efforts and that all your NEWS is good!


































  

No comments:

Post a Comment