Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Last Picture Shows!

   A group of Facebook friends got to chatting
about some old neighborhood movie theaters
last night.
   When I was growing up there were seven
in my home town. And that didn't count the
Drive Ins in the area!
   And I went to them all!
   My Dad worked at a couple of them so I
got in those for free.
   But even when I had to pay it was
probably only a quarter.
   A couple of the places had "Serials"
every week so you had to go back to see
if Superman was able to stop that train
before it crashed or if Commando Cody
would use his Rocket suit to catch up
with the bad guys!
   Speaking of "bad guys", you always
knew who they were even if they weren't
doing anything bad in the scene. It was
easy.
   The "bad guys" wore black hats and
the "good guys" wore white ones!
   And the "good guys" always won!
   Maybe that's what people mean when
they speak of "the good old days!"
   The last single screen theater in Wyoming
Valley was the Forty Fort in...you guessed
it...Forty Fort.
    It ran its final features in 1998.
    I took my wife and kids to see the
matinee showing of Cinderella the day it
closed.
    Ironically the final attraction that
evening was "Fatal Attraction."
    I was really sorry to see the small
neighborhood theaters go.
    The big Multiplex Theaters did them
in.  And it's kind of strange. Thousands
of neighborhood theaters closed. There
are fewer movie theaters now.
    But there are more movie screens!
    There are still a few neighborhood
theaters like those in  Berwick,
West Hazleton, and Montrose that
continue to entertain.
     I hope the following photos will
bring back some good memories, and
that all of your NEWS is good!


    

   










No comments:

Post a Comment