Saturday, June 30, 2012

History.... in the Movies!

    I know I've mentioned it before. But I'm
really impressed with the number of movies
that are  "Based on a true story" or "actual
events."
    That's why I'm somewhat surprised that
the latest flick we took in DID NOT lay
claim to its historical connections!
     Personally I think they missed the boat!
    Yesterday two of our friends, my wife
and I walked into a theater showing
"Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter."
    Well, to be honest, we sort of made a
"mistake" and went through that theater's
door instead of the exit after having seen
another feature in a nearby auditorium!
    After all...you get a double feature at
the Drive Ins don't you?
    Anyhow there we were. And there
were all kinds of historical ties in the
story!
    There was Lincoln and Douglas.
    Although the writers may have taken
a little license by suggesting that Mary
Todd went with Stephen before teaming
up with Abe.
     There was the slavery issue that showed
up over and over in the story line.
     And there was the battle of Gettsburg!
     And who's to say if any of those
rebels were actually vampires killed by
the silver bullets Lincoln himself provided?
     Of course, admittedly, that stretches
history a bit because, as we all know, you
use wooden stakes against vampires...not
silver bullets! (Those are for werewolves!)
     I guess I can't honestly reccomend this
one to history buffs  since they had Abe
weilding an ax. As we all know it was
George Washington who used the ax to
chop down the Cherry tree.
     But if you can forgive a slight miscue
like that I can tell you the air conditioning
was working very well in that auditorium
so it was an effective place to stay cool
while outside temperatures hit 90 degrees!
     Too bad we missed the 3D version!!!!
     Hope you've got some garlic salt for
your popcorn and that all your NEWS is
good!

No comments:

Post a Comment