Friday, June 8, 2012

Row, row, row your boat!

   I pictured myself as the "Skipper"
yesterday as one grandson and one
grand daughter came on board my
yacht to help me test my new set
of oars.
   OK. So it isn't exactly a yacht.
   It's an 8 foot aluminum Jon
Boat.
   We had our choice between that and
our paddle boat. The paddle boat is nice.
But with my long legs,powering the
craft is like a never ending workout on
an exercise bike!
   Besides I wanted to try out those new
oars.  I figured a short cruise would satisfy
everyone. But my passengers had some
other thoughts.
   My grandson, for instance, wanted to
row a bit himself.  I was happy to let him
try. But, somehow, the reality of rowing
away from the way you're facing is a
difficult concept to explain to a 9-year-
old!
    He actually did a pretty good job
although we did spend a fair amount of
time spinning in a circle.
    My grand daughter, on the other hand,
has had a bit of experience rowing a boat.
     She, however, insisted that we row to
the other end of the lake. I suggested it
was a bit too far , especially for our first
time out. And though she did take a
couple of turns..I was doing must of the
rowing.
       That "other end of the lake" was
about a mile away. Three quarters of the
way I felt like I must have rowed half
way across the Atlantic.
       Luckily the sun was beginning to
go down and I was able to convince the
crew that sailing through the darkness in
a lake filled with partially submerged
logs was not a great idea!
       If it weren't so warm I might have
tried making a case for icebergs!
       In the end, even though it seemed like
a three hours cruise, we made it back to
port with some daylight remaining and
before I slumped over at the helm!
        The kids were happy to get back
to playing and I was pleased to have a
chance to breath!
         Hope you've got a motor on your
boat and that all your NEWS is good!













    

No comments:

Post a Comment