Sunday, June 10, 2012

Soccer Saturday!

  My wife and I attended another soccer game
yesterday.
   I was never especially into soccer. Baseball,
actually Softball, was always my game.
   But when our grand daughter decided to go
out for soccer we decided to go out and support
her and her team.
    That team, by the way, has a perfect record.
    It hasn't won a game yet.
    I have trouble understanding that because,
in addition to the eleven players out on the field
there 20 plus coaches. Two are actual team
coaches. The rest are parents or grand parents,
like us, sitting on the side lines yelling for the
girls to "Turn the ball around", or "Pass the ball",
or "Run to the ball, don't wait till it comes to you!"
    Those are the ones I hear the most.
    I don't yell very much because I still don't know
all the rules and techniques.
   I know you're suppose to get the ball to the
opponent's goal without using your hands. And
I know you're suppose to kick it into that goal
once you get it there.
    I haven't quite figured out who's allowed to
run to certain parts of the field  depending on
where the ball is.
    I know there's at least one umpire or
referee or whatever they're called that runs on
the field with both teams.
    And there's usually somebody standing on
the side lines with a little flag that he or she
waves occasionally. When they do that at
Long Pond all the cars start racing.
     I also know I couldn't do all that running
unless, perhaps, I was trying to avoid being
kicked by some body who was actually
trying to kick the ball! It's hard enough to
avoid the sphere when it's sailing at the
spectators after an especially hard kick in the
wrong direction.
     I know I'll learn more.
     My grand daughter has already signed up
for a Fall League!
      Maybe by then I can join the corps of
Side line Coaches!
   Hope you're into the game (whatever it is)
and that all your NEWS is good!



























  

No comments:

Post a Comment