Wednesday, June 27, 2012

SANDBAGGED!

  Talk about a challenge!
  I'm writing this blog flat on my back, the
laptop balanced in a straight up and down
position, an IV in my left hand, and a 10
pound sandbag on my leg!
  For those of you who just tune in
occasionally, I' was admitted to the
hospital after having three breathing
problem incidents that suggested the
possibility of a heart blockage.
   I waited all day Tuesday for my turn
to get a heart catheterization test. You
can't eat before that so you can
imagine how hungry I was by the time
I was wheeled in at about 4:30!
   The good news is I have no
blockage!
   But after the test you've got to lay
flat on you back for at least 4 hours
without movin the leg used for the
catheterization.
   I can't sleep on my back for more
than about 10 minutes usually so
this was a tough task.
   Then there's the matter of going
to the bathroom. Hospitals do
provide special equipment for
this necessity but I preferred to
hold out for the more formal (and
private) facility.
    So after 4 hours in my prison
camp like position I pressed the
call button. summoned my nurse.
and announced that I had served my
time!
   She helped me to my feet and
I made my way to the sanctuary.
   Minutes later I began this blog
and, at the same time, noticed the
pain in my leg!
   Seems 4 hours didn't quite do it
so here I am..flat on my back.
an IV in my left hand, the laptop
balanced on my belly, and with a
10 pound sandbag on my leg.
    Looks like I'm "on hold" again
for a few hours.
   Well at least the wind is at my
back (you know these hospital
gowns!)
    Hope you're comfortable and
that all your NEWS is good!


(Not mine!)

1 comment:

  1. My mom just had the same thing done! Sort of. She went in last Monday for a catheterization to get checked out for potential valve replacement surgery. Turned out her valve was OK - but two of her arteries were 99% blocked! They inserted stents and she's doing well, but she also needed to have a sandbag or two on the entry point for the catheterization for a few days. She now looks like she's wearing purple biking shorts!

    ReplyDelete