Friday, June 22, 2012

Trying To Beat The Heat!

  Just in case you didn't notice.....it was very hot
yesterday! Unless, of course, you were in Siberia!
  I checked the National Weather Service site on
line. According to their figures your best bet to
cool off would have been a drive to Binghampton
where temperatures were recorded at a "cool" 87
degrees.
  The thermometer on my front porch isn't as
sophisticated as the equipment used by those
weather guys. But it read over 100 degrees by
mid afternoon.
   We decided it was an ideal time to sit in
Cinemark's air conditioning system and take
in a movie. So we put the top down in the Miata
and headed out to see a show.
   Usually the wind blowing through you hair in
a convertible offers a pleasant cooling effect.
   Yesterday, however, it was a bit more like
driving through a blast furnace!
    We enjoyed the movie and the air conditioning
then headed back outside for the ride home.
    I had put the top up just in case one of those
"stray" thunderstorms hit while we were in the
theater. I immediately put it down again as he
got in to head home.
    The heat trapped inside the car was nearly
visible as the top went down.
    Then....I touched the steering wheel!
    I was reminded of a scientific fact I had heard
about somewhere....I think......probably in Junior
High School. White reflects heat. Black absorbers
heat.
    Though my car is a convertible, it's steering
wheel, shifter control, and seats are all black!
    Fortunately we had some water in the vehicle.
   Applying some to our hands and, hence, to the
wheel and shifter, we were able to lower their
temperatures to a manageable 75 degrees or so.
    I'm so glad I don't have leather!
    Oh well, like they say..."It's not the heat,
it's the humanity....or is that humidity? Maybe
both!
   Hope you're playing it "cool" and that all your
NEWS is good!





















No comments:

Post a Comment